I know the feeling. You invested good money into a decent memory foam mattress, only for someone to fill it with breadcrumbs and wine stains.
Before you know it, your brand new topper with that fresh factory smell looks like it’s been used for several decades.
Memory foam is different from other materials used in toppers and therefore needs a cautious approach.
This guide will help you in learning how to clean memory foam mattress topper properly.
Let’s get into it.
Use Vacuum Cleaner to Clean Loose Dust and Debris
Well, this is a no-brainer.
The easiest way of cleaning a memory foam mattress topper would be cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner.
Here’s how to get the job done:
- Use its soft brush attachment when using that on memory foam mattress topper.
- Use it from top to bottom slowly in a linear way and then move the brush in a circular motion. It will suck all the dust, debris, mites, and allergens.
- If there is no odor or stains on your mattress topper, then you are ready to spray detergent.
- Pick a gentle laundry detergent and mix it in warm water. Now fill that detergent mix in a spray bottle and then spray it all over the mattress topper.
- Do not soak the foam; otherwise, it will get destroyed. Once sprayed perfectly, use the brush to rub that detergent and then remove it with the help of your vacuum cleaner.
How to Deep Clean Tough Memory Foam Stains in 3 Easy Steps
There might be a variety of stains on the mattress topper. Urine stains, food stains, and beverage stains produce an unpleasant odor and can be tough to remove.
How to Clean a Mattress Topper That Was Peed On
Hey, bedwetting accidents happen even to the best of us. Luckily they’re fairly easily to clean. Get your rubber gloves ready!
If there are urine stains soaked deep within the topper, you will have to use an enzymatic pet stain cleaner.
- Blot the stain with such a cleaner and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. You can also use hydrogen peroxide to remove urine stains.
- Apply a gentle amount of these chemicals to ensure your mattress topper will remain as comfy as it is now.
- Applying too much amount of cleaning chemicals can damage that mattress topper. It may discolor your mattress topper.
How to Remove Odor From Mattress Topper
Nobody wants to sleep on a stinky mattress but mattresses can produce odors due to many reasons.
Things that cause stain tend to linger within the memory foam. Stains caused by vomit, urine, beverages, smoke, and other fun things like that can turn your mattress topper into a stinky topper.
Follow the previous steps to clean it properly and then go for removing odor. Speaking of odor. Here’s something that might help you out.
Get Rid of Bad Smell With Baking Soda
You will need some baking soda to remove odor. It’s very simple. Just do this.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress topper and then leave it as it is for one night.
- Pick your vacuum cleaner and remove the baking soda from that mattress topper.
Don’t have baking soda?
No worries, we got you covered.
You can also use citrus-based cleaning agents if baking soda is not available. The process will be similar, but the result will be impressive.
There will be no more bad smells. Your mattress topper will smell fresh and perfectly cleaned.
Clean Both Sides of Your Mattress Topper
Why clean a bottom part of the topper when it’s not exposed to much dirt, right?
Well, it still accumulates some dust and dirt.
Do not leave it dirty otherwise; it will cause bad odor and other issues.
Flip your mattress topper and follow the same above-explained approach to clean this side also.
Now you know what to do if there are tough stains and what to do to counter lousy odor. Follow the explained tips and your mattress topper will be cleaned correctly.
Mistakes That Could Ruin Your Memory Foam Topper
If you’re cleaning memory foam mattress topper for the first time, some errors might slip in. We got you covered and have listed the most common things to avoid. Those mistakes are:
- Using an excessive amount of water to clean stains. It damages the internal layers of mattress topper and also reduces its comfort levels.
- Some individuals also prefer aggressive whacking to remove dust and mites from a mattress topper. There is no need to do that because your vacuum cleaner can do this job pretty well.
- Steam cleaning is another widely preferred way, but it is not for cleaning a memory foam mattress topper.
- If you own a multipurpose vacuum cleaner, it can clean your sofa but not mattress topper. So, use a different cleaning tool.
- Do not wash memory foam mattress topper in a washing machine!
Why Is It Important to Clean the Topper Regularly
Cleaning a memory foam mattress topper is not as easy as cleaning an ordinary bed.
That does not mean you should leave it filthy and scruffy. It should be one of your top priorities to clean that mattress topper at least once in a year.
It will help you to stay away from diseases and keep the mattress topper intact. It won’t take you long to clean memory foam topper.
Still, you will have to focus on getting rid of bacteria, dust mites, allergens, and other impurities. A variety of allergens could build-up due to regular use of the topper, especially if you did not clean your mattress topper for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you wash foam in the washing machine?
No, you should never wash memory foam mattress topper in a washing machine as it will ruin it. Wash by hand only and follow the instructions above for proper cleaning.
However, you can use mattress cover or protectors to protect the memory foam topper and wash the covers in washing machine instead